Apache Camel 1.4.0 Released

Just after 3½ months since release 1.3.0 of Apache Camel we have been very busy and have resolved 261 tickets.

Check out the release notes and go grab it from the download page.

If you are not familiar with Apache Camel then check out the FAQ or the Getting Started guide.

If you have more time and a fresh brew of coffee then I encourage you to read a somewhat different tutorial that focus on introducing Camel into an existing project step by step. The tutorial is work in progress, so check it out from time to time. The tutorial is based on a real life use-case.

If you have less time check out the regular tutorial that demonstrates how Camel easily work well together with Spring for message exchanges over JMS.

If you have questions about Camel then please check out the forums/mailinglists.

And then the answer to the mother of all questions about Camel.


SeeBeyond - The Beast

Rewinding my life back 2 years and I would be a happy person with an IT-job thinking one of the worst platforms I have been working with was IBM WebSphere. Happy unaware of a enterprise integration platform named SeeBeyond exists. SeeBeyond was later acquired by Sun, and the platform was then re branded as CAPS. My client was actually promised that CAPS was able to run on IBM WebSphere, but that is not true. That would have been a double nightmare!

My current client, unfortunately, uses this platform. During my 1½ working with this platform I must admit that I would never dare to run my business on this platform. Well the runtime platform is somewhat okay as its the Sun Application Server running the integrations, and its very stable. But the poor staff that has to monitor the server can't decode its strange logging errors from time to time, and its damm hard to make it shut up.

Where the platform really excels in lack of quality is its support and developer tools. You are forced to use these tools. The developer tools is a old fork of NetBeans that is so buggy and hard to use that its a nightmare to change an existing integration. For instance I have spent the last 5 hours to update and existing integration with a new webservice contract. My god does it toss out strange errors. The solution is always to create the damm integration from scratch. Have your fingers crosssed that it will compile and build the integration and you are able to deploy it.

As I am also having a foot in the lighter marked with Apache Camel I can't dare to think that I would have the job done in less than 1 hour with Camel. And I would not worry that I wont be able to compile and build my binaries just because I have to use a really poor tool that doesn't give me the control to run a build with javac, ANT or Maven that we all take for granted today.

At least my client has realized the platform is a no go for the future and we will in the future look for a new platform.


Apache Camel now with WebSphere 6.1 support

Lately I have been quite busy working on Apache Camel. We are about to finalize on a new release 1.4. I am happy to report that I managed to solve an issue in Camel related to WebSpheres dreadful classloading issues.

As Camel isn't a new pet in town and the community hasn't reported the issue before its a sign in the moon and wind that the fantastic open source community isn't riding on IBM's heavy elephant anymore - count yourself lucky for that!

Well as starting and stopping WebSphere isn't a fun activity to do in my spare time I had other issues to look and solve, such as many of the end-user request, patches and feature suggestions - keep 'em coming.

So finally I found some quite time and started tackle the beast. In the end it was all coming down to the fact that WebSphere classloader wasn't able to load a packagename from a URL resource. You must provide some kind of file resource such as a .class file. And as Camel is a clever framework that can auto register its type converters from just providing packagenames it should recursive scan the solutions wasn't to easy as end-users can also use this feature and provide their own packagenames to scan.

However at the end we have a workaround in Camel 1.4 to let it be able to run on the IBM elephant.


Generate toString() v4.0.6 released

As the author of the generate toString() plugin to IDEA I do have a job to maintain this plugin. I had a few user reports lying around for a while and this morning I thought I wanted to do some IDEA hacking instead of the Camel.

The release only contains 2 minor bugfixes, but importantly one of the bugs was reported by an end-user and we want to keep them happy ;)

The changelog for those interested:

v4.0.6 for IDEA 7.x (05-juli-2008)
- [BUG] ID17: Proper resource handling for loading template files
- [BUG] ID21: $member.typeName and $member.typeQualifiedName did not handle generic and primitve types